Please let others know about us

Follow us on Tweeter & Facebook Follow Hirschsprungs Support on Twitter  Follow HMDSN on Facebook


Callum ......condt

In 2003 Callum was 6 years old and he asked to be “normal”.  He no longer wanted the colostomy and after speaking to the doctors the decision was made to give Callum one year to see if he could gain control of his bowel.  If he could not then we would look at other options.  On 4th July 2003 Callum had the stoma reversed and was only in hospital for 5 days and had no complications.  This was a huge achievement for us and it also meant Callum came to my university graduation ceremony.
Unfortunately, Callum could not control his bowel.  He was again having up to 20 bowel movements in one day and life was becoming very difficult for him.  We persevered but to no avail and the following year had a meeting with the doctors to discuss what options Callum had.  We were given four options.

  1. Leave things as they were
  2. Callum to have a cecostomy
  3. Callum to have an ACE
  4. Callum to have a permanent colostomy

The options to leave things or for a permanent colostomy were not an option I wanted at this stage, so I had to decide between the ACE and the cecostomy.  The two are very similar and the stoma nurses talked through both procedures to help me decide.  I decided on the cecostomy for a few reasons.  The operation for the cecostomy is not as long as the ACE and is easier to reverse.  I wasn’t keen on inserting a tube into Callum, which would have to be done for the ACE.  Callum’s surgeon only works with cecostomys and does not have anything to do with the ACE and I did not want to change doctors.
The decision was made and the operation set for 21st November 2003.  It all went pretty straightforward and we were home the following week.  At first Callum had a catheter tube permanently placed in the cecostomy hole and the wash-outs took about 1 hour.  We used a saline solution for the washouts made up from salt and warm water.  In February 2004 Callum went back into hospital to have the catheter tube removed and the cecostomy button fitted.  This was Callum’s last operation and fingers crossed he will not need any more. 
We did the washouts every evening.  I bought a table with wheels on and I would wheel it to the bathroom door.  A television, video player and Playstation were on the table so Callum had something to keep him occupied while having his flush.  We still went on holidays abroad and I would buy bottled water and leave it on the balcony to warm up.  I always carry out Callum’s flush on a morning while on holiday so that I know he will be ok in the pool etc.   After about 6 months the washouts were not working as well and we changed from saline to Kleen-prep.  This worked well and the washouts were now taking between 30 and 45 minutes.

< < Previous Page     Next Page > >